Emma Watson 2023 Interview

Copyright © 2023, Los Angeles Times | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | CA Notice of Collection | Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

In an interview with the Financial Times, the “Harry Potter” alum explained why she retreated from the spotlight after working on the Oscar-winning film alongside Florence Pugh, Saoirse Ronan, Laura Dern and filmmaker Greta Gerwig.

Emma

“I think I felt a bit caged. The thing I found really hard was that I had to go out and sell something that I really didn’t have very much control over.”

Emma Watson Interview New Film Bling Ring Pictures

In particular, the 33-year-old actor and activist seemed to take issue with how she was expected to promote the projects to which she was attached. Prior to “Little Women, ” Watson starred in two other high-profile adaptations: “The Circle” and Disney’s live-action remake of “Beauty and the Beast.” The latter especially required Watson to participate in an extensive worldwide press tour.

“To stand in front of a film and have every journalist be able to say, ‘How does this align with your viewpoint?’ It was very difficult to have to be the face and the spokesperson for things where I didn’t get to be involved in the process, ” she continued.

“I was held accountable in a way that I began to find really frustrating, because I didn’t have a voice, I didn’t have a say. And I started to [realize] that I only wanted to stand in front of things where if someone was going to give me flak about it, I could say, in a way that didn’t make me hate myself, ‘Yes, I screwed up, it was my decision, I should have done better.’”

Emma Watson Talks Style, Dating, And Life After Harry Potter In Her October 2012 Glamour Interview

In the same day, Seth Rogen first amplified and then clarified a rumor about his “This Is the End” costar Emma Watson’s behavior on set back in 2012.

Despite her recent qualms about the profession, Watson told the Financial Times she “absolutely” intends to act again — but she’s “happy to sit and wait for the next right thing” to come along. In a follow-up interview with the publication, the performer confirmed that she is set to begin shooting a movie next year.

“I love what I do, ” she said. “It’s finding a way to do it where I don’t have to fracture myself into different faces and people. And I just don’t want to switch into robot mode any more. Does that make sense?”

Harry Potter Actor Emma Watson On Her 5 Year Break From Acting: 'i Felt A Bit Caged'

During her acting hiatus, Watson has launched a French-inspired gin brand, Renais, with her younger brother and directed an advertising campaign she wrote for Prada. Her first foray into directing was a “very” big deal for her, according to the Financial Times.

Emma

“I was worried it was just technical, not creative, and I couldn’t bring what I think is probably my skill set. ... Being a director seemed unattainable. I don’t think I had any confidence in that. I know it seems weird. I mean, I grew up on a film set.”

Christi Carras is an entertainment reporter at the Los Angeles Times. She was previously a Times intern after graduating from UCLA and has also worked at Variety, the Hollywood Reporter and CNN.Emma Watsonis opening up about a challenging time in her life. In an interview withFinancial Times, Watson, who hasn't starred in a movie since 2018's

Emma Watson To Go Back To Oxford University For Master's Degree

I think I felt a bit caged, Watson, 33, explains. The thing I found really hard was that I had to go out and sell something that I really didn’t have very much control over. To stand in front of a film and have every journalist be able to say, 'How does this align with your viewpoint?' It was very difficult to have to be the face and the spokesperson for things where I didn't get to be involved in the process.

Iwas held accountable in a way that I began to find really frustrating, because I didn't have a voice, I didn't have a say, she continues. And I started to realize that I only wanted to stand in front of things where if someone was going to give me flak about it, I could say, in a way that didn't make me hate myself, 'Yes, I screwed up, it was my decision, I should have done better.'

Emma

Even so, Watson tells the outlet that she will absolutely return to acting, beginning with a movie that's scheduled to begin shooting early next year.

Emma Watson Teases Return To Acting After Four Year Break

I'm happy to sit and wait for the next right thing. I love what I do. It's finding a way to do it where I don't have to fracture myself into different faces and people, she explains. And I just don't want to switch into robot mode anymore.

And other projects, Watson didn't often get to return to her family's vineyard, the site where they makeRenais, their recently launched gin.

There was definitely a gap when Alex took more of a role here, Watson says of her younger brother, the founder of the gin brand. But now that I'm not making films every year there's a bit more time to play with. For me, getting involved with the creative side of the gin has been fun because I have a voice and I can bring everything that I've learnt to help. Alex is the expert on gin, and dad is the expert on wine, but it's really nice to be asked to be involved.

-

The Real Reason You Haven't Seen Emma Watson In Movies For A While

For the actress, returning to France with her brother and father, Chris Watson, allows her to enjoy the culture here of the harvest.

I like coming together with everyone, she explains. I like the rituals around it and the history and the connection with the people here. For me it's about family and community and it makes me feel grounded that there's somewhere I can come back to, year after year after year.